And Now for Something Completely Different

The original idea behind restarting this blog was to talk about a bunch of stuff, not simply things related to religion.  So far, all of the content has had something to do with religion, so I would like to broaden things up a little bit.  Since it's Friday, I figured it's also time to lighten the mood a bit.  Thus, the first of our Friday Fun posts.  The topic (until I get tired of it)?  Classic music videos of the 80s and 90s, and how weird many of them were.

We'll start with one of my favorites--Heaven is a Place on Earth by Belinda Carlisle (1987).




I love this video, because the process of its creation is so transparent.  I am pretty sure it went down something like this:

Producer:  All right everyone, we need to make a video for the new Belinda Carlisle single.  Ideas?
Director:  I have a vision for this video.  Since the song is entitled "Heaven is a Place on Earth," I want to make a statement about how children are the future, so I want them to be carrying around globes to make that point blinding obvious and literal.  Oh, and I want the kids to wear creepy masks.  Because, why not?
Producer: Hmm.
A&R Guy:  You know, Belinda Carlisle is really, really attractive.  Why don't we have her just move around in a loose sweater looking hot?
Producer:  Let's do both!

Needless to say, the video is entirely incoherent.  But, I appreciate the video because it kind of embodies the excess of the 80s.  Why have one concept for a video when you can have two entirely different concepts?  More is always better, right?

Plus, Belinda Carlisle looks really, really hot in this video.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus Doesn't Care if You Masturbate, and Other Provocations

Another Theology of the Body, Part VI--A Theological Exploration of the Clitoris

Holy Sex!--Part 3.3 Getting Down to Business, Part II